Saturday, September 11, 2010

where were you?

September 11th, 2001.

I was a freshmen in high school. I was in my 3rd period class - symphonic band. Michael was in this class with me. We were just beginning to warm up when the principal came on the loud speaker. He said something about an accident taking place in NYC. It was just an accident, there was nothing to really worry about. So once the announcements were over, we continued to play. We were in the midst of marching band season, so practicing was crucial. Not too long after the first announcement, the principal came back on and made another announcement to say that the other tower had been hit. He advised all the teachers to turn on the TVs, so Mr. H (our band director) did so. He was an ex Marine, so he knew that this was no accident. He told us to look at the clock, because you will remember this moment for the rest of our lives. I remember not going to lunch, I just stayed in the band room, watching the news with everyone else. I had to go to my next class. I just remember a lot of people having their parents pick them up from school. Michael and his mom used to drive me to and from school everyday (we lived down the street from each other), so I remember meeting up with him to find out if he was getting picked up early; he wasn't so we stayed. 9/11 was a Tuesday, so I am not sure if band practice was canceled or not. We had practice every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, games on Fridays and competitions on Saturdays.

Things were different after 9/11. It was in large part, why Michael joined the Marine Corps. It was definitely why he went to Iraq. I remember when Michael was home for his first R&R, we went and saw World Trade Center with a group of friends. During the entire movie I just cried and cried and cried. I knew that because of 9/11, that's why Michael was over there. 9/11 changed a lot in my eyes.

It's different for me now though, I feel that pain now. I feel the pain of losing someone I love so much. I know how those who have lost someone feel and have felt.

Ground Zero - Taken June 2005



"Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew. “

-President George W. Bush


Never Forget

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment